Sunday, November 9, 2008

My Thoughts on God's Words

Blogging everyday is not as easy as it sounds. Some days I just can't think of what I want to say. Since today is Sunday I thought today I'd devote my post to God's word. For my Bible study we have to memorize a new verse each week. It has been six weeks so far. Here are the six verses I have chosen and a little background as to why they stood out to me.

"In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps."
-Proverbs 16:9

I chose this one because sometimes it is hard to understand why things happen the way they do. I wanted to remind myself that the Lord determines my steps in life. He knows what is in my heart and He makes a way for me.

"And He died for all so that those who live should no longer live for themselves, but for Him, who died for them, and was raised again."
-2 Corinthians 5:15

I chose this one to remind myself that I no longer live for myself- my wants and desires- but for Him because He died for me to save me from my sins. Which is more than I could ever ask for because there is no way I could have ever saved myself. Not sinning ever again in my life? That would be impossible. I am so thankful He paid the price for me and living for Him is my Thank You to Him.

"Cast your cares on the Lord and He will sustain you; He will never let the righteous fall."
-Psalm 55:22

I am a worrier. I have anxiety like nobody's business. This one was to remind me that I have somewhere to place those worries.

"...Not only so, but we also rejoice in our suffering because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character- hope."
Romans 5:3-4

This passage was to remind me that all the bad things I may go through in life are not needless. Everything I go through can help me develop to be the best person I can be.

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged."
-Matthew 7:1

This last one was because lately I have been catching myself judging people sometimes. Maybe I don't agree with their actions or maybe they have a personality trait that gets on my nerves or maybe they are wearing something crazy. This verse reminds me of my biggest fear: people judging me. I'm sure it happens, it makes me self-conscious and probably doesn't help my self-esteem. I'm probably so aware of it because I do it. But maybe I shouldn't judge, but appreciate. Appreciate that everyone is on their own individual journey in life and they my not think or act or look exactly the way I want them to, but that is ok because it is their journey, not mine. Then maybe I won't be so aware or care about people judging me.

(The continuation of that verse which I am memorizing this week is: "For the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you." -Matthew 7:2)

So that is where my thoughts have been lately. But I need to get some more focus on not just my thoughts, but my activities if I am going to accomplish this list. Since I have decided I am going to apply for grad school, I need to get my application in order, take the GMAT, get into to UNC's MBA program, rock those courses and learn a lot so I can get the job that will make me happy. As for the 5K, I haven't ran in 2 weeks. So right now I think it is time to turn some of my thoughts into ACTION!

No comments: