Tuesday, January 20, 2009

SNOW!

I kept saying “If it’s going to be this cold, I at least want some snow!” Well today I got my wish! We have snow and I love it. That is, I love it as long as I don’t have to drive in it. Luckily there is this little thing called “working from home”. It's still snowing and I feel like a little kid. It's so pretty!

It has been a long time since I have seen actual snow accumulation around here. Mostly we just get ice. In fact a few years ago, there was a really nasty ice storm that clogged all of the roads around Raleigh . Luckily it happened just a few weeks before I moved here from Greenville . But I heard horror stories of how it took some people 5 hours to make it home when it normally takes 10 minutes and some people had to stay in hotels because they couldn’t make it home. Cars were sliding around all over the place! I’ll welcome this pretty snow over that nightmarish ice any day.

This is also the first time Cam has seen real snow. He has seen flurries before but nothing like this! He loves it:



Cam eating snow and lovin it!




Cam trying to catch snowflakes




After a romp around the yard


All this snow is getting me excited for my upcoming ski trip in February. (I should really say snowboard/ice skating trip since that is what I plan on doing instead of skiing this year.)

We are headed up to Beech Mountain over Valentine’s Day weekend. It is mostly couples- which scares the crap out of me. Lately I have not really enjoyed being the only single person in a sea of couples. Plus, it is going to be Valentine’s Day which is tough for single people even when you aren’t witness to all the couple’s mushiness on that day.

But they are all my friends and I love being around them- couples or not. We always seem to have a blast on these group trips. We play board/card games like Truth or Dare Jenga or Phase 10. We enjoy meals together and laugh until our stomachs hurt. We fight over who gets to sleep where (I better get a bed!). We act silly and take lots of pictures and sometimes even video! There are always lots of great stories to tell.

This weekend I had to buy new ski pants. The ones I had from my last ski trip were child’s size and were just way too uncomfortable. But it is impossible to find the right length for me in adult sizes! The ones I ended up getting are super cute, but have some drawbacks. They are white (probably a mistake considering how much falling I will probably be doing) and way too long (but I am hoping they will just bunch up around the boots and not drag too much).

I also get to mark something off my list on this trip! I am really nervous about this particular task since I hear snowboarding can be particularly painful the first time. But I am hoping I will pick it up quickly and not come back with too many bumps and bruises!

Oh and can I just say all the inauguration hype on TV is making this day super exciting too. It is a historic moment and I am inspired to see such hope and excitement in our Country!

4 comments:

Jane said...

I always say I would rather drive through a foot of snow than have ice on the roads! The last time I was in a car accident it was due to ice on the road. The pickup truck driving in front of me started to fishtail, so I slowly started changing lanes just in case the truck didn't regain control....and what do you know, I ended up spinning out and getting hit by the car behind me. :-( Ice is the worst.

The pictures of Cam are adorable! :-)

Anonymous said...

i tried to put a video of Tobey and Jabber up, but it wouldn't upload. They had a good time in the snow, well Jabber did. I should have huffed it down to your place so they could have played together.

Anonymous said...

Aww, so cute!

B said...

That is so cute that you're going on a ski trip for Valentine's day!!! I love it!