Monday, January 19, 2009

Q and A

Thank you to all of you who delurked! I like seeing who is reading my blog and love comments on all my posts, so don't be afraid to comment from here on out!

The only question I got was: I would love to know what God has spoken to your heart about tithing since that post. Also would love to know what you thought of "The Shack".

Well, I still don't know where I stand on the tithing issue. I believe in giving, but I am still not sure about tithing. I think one of the things that bothers me is it is covered a lot in the Old Testament, but not so much in the New Testament and the OT is tricky to me. Some of the laws are still followed and some aren't. Who's to say what's what? Even though I haven't figured out my stance on it yet, I have given 10% every Sunday. I basically pray for guidance on how much to give each Sunday morning (after checking my account balance in the bank to make sure I can cover it, because I think God still wants me to be financially responsible!)

Ironically our church gave out copies of Randy Alcorn's The Treasure Principle: Discovering the Secret of Joyful Giving this month and our Bible study group is going to start going through that tonight. I don't think this was just coincidence. So maybe I will have more to share on the topic later.

I finished The Shack last week and I thought it was a great story. I think God's love was really reflected in the story and could give comfort to those who have been through bad things in life. You can see my full review of it here on my Bookshelf Blog.

The Shack

I hope to have some exciting things to post this week including my reviews for some books I got through a publisher who found my blog and emailed me to see if I would review some books on my site! Doesn't that make me somewhat more official as a blogger or something?

I also hope to post the next focus for my Defining Character series. It's going to be about letting go of anxiety, acceptance and living in the now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your feelings about tithing are pretty legitimate. Tithing has no authority for the Church, or in the new testament after the cross. There are lots of reasources on the web that you can read that study this issue. If you look on the web, i'm sure you will be shocked at the truth behind tithing.

- jared