Friday, January 9, 2009

Goodbye Magic Card…I’ll miss you!

The one good thing in this economy is the price of gas won’t cost you an arm and a leg anymore. I mean, it is under $2.00/gallon! I think this is something we should celebrate folks! Just a few months ago it was $4and even $5/gallon in some places. I know I am super pumped about this.

Up until I made my 30 Before 30 List I didn’t really care too much about the price of gas. Sure I would complain about it with everyone else and I thought it was outrageous, but for as long as I have been purchasing gas, I have paid for it with a little piece of plastic that I like to call “The Magic Card”.

The Magic Card is of course a credit card with my name on it, but the bill goes to my mom. I was given the card in high school and I have been responsible enough to keep it in my possession all these years. Back in college there were a lot more things on the list of approved items to be purchased with the Magic Card. Today there remains only one: gas.

I have no idea how I kept gas on the approved list or why. It is just something I was never used to paying. Ironically, the only other thing my mom pays for is my car insurance, so I guess she just really wants me to have a way to get around?

Anyway, the other day I did something I never have done before. I paid for my own gas! It was a conscious decision and I really didn’t want to do it because I love the Magic Card and I didn’t want to put it away forever. We’ve had such a long relationship together. But the time has come. I need to stop pretending my tank just magically stays filled without depleting my bank account.

It feels good. Scary. But good.

Now the only thing I have to do to mark #5 off my list is to take over my car insurance payments in June!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so proud.