Monday, January 5, 2009

Case of the Mondays?

Today could possibly be the most likely day for people around the country to find themselves with a “case of the Mondays”. The Holidays are over and it is back to the grind. After enjoying that long 2 week break, it will likely be a REALLY long time before we escape cubicle life again. My next company holiday isn’t until Memorial Day. That’s 5 long months of straight work to look forward to.

I could have been dreading this day. I could have been cursing the return to work and slaving my life away for “the man”. I could have been slamming things around in my cube all morning out of frustration. I could have spent this whole post complaining about the absurdity of office life.

But this year I am not complaining. I am happy to sitting back in my little cube under the florescent lights. I like hearing the ding of the elevator and the steady hum of the printer and the clicking of keys and mouse buttons everywhere. I am happy and feel very lucky to have a job.

Usually Sundays at my house are spent lounging around watching TV or running errands and dreading the return to work the next day. I usually stay up late thinking about how much I am going to hate having to make it through the next week and how I didn’t accomplish anything around the house during my short two day break.

But last night I felt good. I had accomplished a lot around the house. I put all my laundry away and cleaned my bathroom and felt good about the return to my normal routine. I went to bed at a decent hour and even had time to stop for coffee on my way to work.

So far it is a good start to the New Year, and nothing has really changed, except my perspective. So if you are finding yourself with a case of the Mondays today, just be glad you have a job and cross your fingers you can keep it. It’s predicted to get worse in 2009, so buckle up and smile because it’s going to be a bumpy ride. And yeah- #3 on my list- “Find a job I love”, right now I love just having a job period.

1 comment:

Wani said...

Great attitude! I'm a SAHM... so I didn't get much of a break but its still different during the holidays. I'm actually looking forward to getting back into the usual routine too. I'm thankful my husband provides well for our family so that I am able to stay home with our boys (one with special needs). I would hate having to leave them at a day care or babysitters' all the time if I went back to work. While my 24/7 job wears me out... I wouldn't trade it! well... maybe for a few days but never for good!