Friday, January 2, 2009

Out with the Old...In with the New

Happy New Year everyone! Personally, I am kind of glad to see 2008 go. It wasn't the worst year ever, but it certainly wasn't the best either. So I am welcoming 2009 with open arms!

I must say I hate New Year's Eve though. I can't think of one New Year's Eve that I have really loved. Most just turn out to be OK. Lots of my New Year's memories have drama around them. I can't remember a great New Year's kiss...ever. The times I remember being with a guy on New Years seem to always have involved some drama or let down. Sometimes I don't know why I even bother with that holiday. This year was no different. I went over to a party. Hung out with most of my wonderful friends. Played some Rock Band. Talked about Twilight with other obsessed fans. Had some food and drinks and watched the ball drop and everyone kiss. The year I have a great New Years Eve will be the year I know I've made it. If it doesn't happen soon, I may start boycotting this holiday.

One thing I am not looking forward to in 2009 that I am REALLY REALLY going to miss is a big vacation. For the past two years a big group of us has taken a week long cruise. The one in 2007 was filled with lots of drama but also wonderful! And I blogged about last year's Cruise 2K8 which was even more wonderful. The cruise was always something to look forward to and plan for and motivation for working out. But I am tired of cruising and we are all too broke to afford a big vacation this year. This makes me so sad.

In fact I was looking for a calendar for work and I didn't even get one because I usually have a beach themed one to look at and envision myself on when I am having a bad day, but this year I thought it would just be a reminder of the vacation I am NOT taking!

But I will try to plan lots of mini-get-a-ways this year. I already have a long weekend ski/snowboard trip planned for February and I'm trying to organize a long weekend DC trip for April. I'll take a long weekend at our timeshare at Atlantic Beach in August. And hopefully some more mini-trips will come up too!

I'm also looking forward to getting back to my regular routine. This 2 weeks of vacation has been nice, but it has seriously thrown off my schedule. And there has been nothing on TV! The History channel and HGTV have been the only things worth watching and I miss my regular shows. I find when my schedule gets thrown off I get lazy and do a bunch of nothing and I don't like that. So if I ever find myself with 2 weeks off again, I am going to plan a vacation to avoid doing a bunch of nothing, because doing nothing is so boring.

As far as resolutions, my main one is to work on marking things off my list. I have a few others, but they aren't things like "starting today no more ____." They are more of things that I want to work on throughout the year or accomplish by the end of the year. Hopefully this will be a great year!

2 comments:

Pretty Unfamous said...

I think I'd rather take a couple small vacations than one big one. More times to look forward to!

Anonymous said...

More and more, I find that lots of holidays just don't live up to their hype. I don't know what the deal is with that.

It's going to be a year of mini-vacations for me, too, I think ... and I'm okay with that. I did a big vacation this year and I'll totally miss it this year, but lots of weekends away can be fun, too; plus, I'll get to spend time with more people, provided I plan it out properly!