Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Dream It. List It. Do It!

Back in December, I got an email from someone with Workman, a publisher of such books as What to Expect When You’re Expecting and various 365 “page-a-day” calendars. She asked me if I would be interested in reviewing some books on my blog, in particular this one since it has to do with life lists. I said sure and also requested 1000 Places to See Before You Die because you guys know how much I love to travel.

Dream It. List It. Do It! Is a great little book full of ideas and helpful tips to making and actually completing your life lists (like my 30 Before 30). It starts out with “10 Rules for Creating and Conquering Your Life Lists” with helpful tips like “define a finish line” and “document your progress”.

The following chapters focus on different themes for “Life List” items:

-Understand Myself
-Learn New Things
-Be More Adventurous
-Make a Difference
-Fix My Finances
-Live in the Moment
-Reconnect
-Cook More
-Be Independent
-Stay Focused
-Make Music
-Be a Better Person
-Be Healthy
-Get a Pet
-Be Happy
…and more! (43 different categories in all!)

There are literally hundreds of ideas in this book. Each theme has pages and pages of items to add to your list that fit with that theme. When I made my "30 Before 30 List" it was kind of spontenous. But I have really loved having my list and I’ll probably continue this tradition and make a 40 Before 40 list. This book is really going to come in handy and give me lots of great ideas for that list.

I know my blog has inspired others to make their own lists (because really, life lists are just so great ya'll!) So I am going to feature a new “List Idea” from the book every Friday. I’ll tell you if I have done that particular item or if it is a contender for my “40 Before 40” list. You can comment and let me know what you think each idea, whether or not you have done it, have no intrest in it, or if you are going to add it to your list. Sound fun? I think so.

(I thought about calling this feature "List Idea Friday Everyone" and shortening it to L.I.F.E. Is that completely cheesy? Probably.)

If you want to get a copy of Dream It. List It. Do It! for yourself to jump start your own Life List, you can find it here.

I also found this nifty little quiz you can take in relation to the book (because who doesn't love online quizzes?!)

I took the 43 Things Personality Quiz and found out I'm a
Self-Knowing Healthy Builder



Also be on the lookout for my review of 1000 Places to See Before You Die on my Bookshelf Blog soon.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an awesome book! Thanks for the head-up Suz!!

Wani said...

Sounds like a great book! Thanks for sharing!
I took the quiz and I'm a: Romantic Self-Knowing Self-Improver

0.68% of the 71956 people who have taken this quiz are like me.

Anonymous said...

I am a spiritual re-inventor, no idea what that means. Thanks tho

Anonymous said...

Hi Suz,

Thanks so much for the review of "Dream It List It Do It!" I'm one of the folks at 43 Things (there are 7 of us) and it's great to see the book helping people define and achieve their goals. We often refer to 43 Things "do it yourself help" -- which is no more cheesy than L.I.F.E. so I approve ;-)

Good luck and thanks!

Anonymous said...

Oh I'm going to get this book now, thanks Susan, you always know which books I'll love!

~Jennifer