Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Learning to Love Lean Six Sigma?

This week I am taking a class for work that is very intense.  Most of the people in my class have worked here for years and I’ve been here a month.  The class is to get Green Belt certified in Lean Six Sigma which is a process methodology that results in speed and quality of output.  Green Belt is the second level- I guess I skipped Yellow Belt!  Anyway to get your Green Belt you have to lead a project that takes anywhere from 3-6 months and report out on the results and how you used the Lean Six Sigma methodology.  This class and this project and the certification process are going to be a lot harder than I thought they were going to be.

All week I have been complaining about how much my brain hurts- how it is overflowing with flow charts and acronyms and definitions.  The class moves so fast I can barely keep up.  This is not like me at all.  I was always good in school- except when I gave up on a class and didn’t try at all because it wasn’t worth it (that happened 3 times in my life and I don’t regret any of them).  But I was one of those kids that didn’t have to study.  I pick up on things quickly.  I have always said my brain is my best asset.

But this week has been tough because I can’t just coast.  I have to work hard and fast to keep up.  And I will have to work hard and fast for the next 3-6 months to complete my project and get my certification- on top of doing my regular work!

Instead of being thankful for the opportunity to get certified and appreciating that my boss had enough confidence in me to put me through this my first month here, I have been complaining.  I have been complaining that it is hard and I’m stressed out, and I’m too new to know all I need to know to do this. 

I need to change my outlook and be thankful and joyful for this opportunity instead of complaining about how hard it is. 

By the way the one thing I have really learned is that EVERYTHING in life is a process.  And now I can use this methodology not only to improve processes at work, but everywhere in my life.  Maybe I should define, measure, analyze, investigate, control, and share (DMAICS- one of our many acronyms!) my process (or lack thereof) for keeping my house clean!  Or maybe I should use the Lean Six Sigma methodology to change my attitude about this certification process!

It's so easy to complain, but really, I, and everyone else in the world, should be thankful for every learning or educational opportunity they get.  Don't take it for granted because there are a lot of people out there that would probably kill to be in your shoes!

2 comments:

Rich Life Revival said...

Girl, I'm about to start studying for the series 7 - which is the financial/insurance/basics exam.

Problem A - I graduated with a degree in biochemistry. It's gonna be tough to learn such a new industry - but I am thankful for the opportunity - and with all the hard work ahead it's okay because in 3-6 months you and I will both be certified!!

3 months out of your ENTIRE life really isn't that much. Just try to break it down like that - and YES, you can do it :) It's okay to freak out for a minute - but we'll both get through it!

CIP said...

Good luck! I've heard of this before and I hope I get the chance to take it; I heard it can change the way you look at everything! You'll be fine :)