Friday, February 27, 2009

L.I.F.E.- List Idea Friday Everyone!

Every Friday I will feature a new idea from the book Dream it. List it. Do it! that you can add to your life’s to do list. (oops I missed a few Friday posts- sorry guys!)

This week's selection comes from the chapter "Fix my Finances":

"Invest (rather than spend) my tax refund"

I have been stressed out about money lately. As you know I was struggling with the tithing issue at the beginning of the year (still am). Then my church starts this big expansion campaign (we seriously are running out of room- so it is much needed). Then I have the TV and Internet telling me everyday how bad the economy is and that I could loose my job at any minute so I better start saving. And on top of all of that, the lease on my car is up in April and I still have no idea what I am going to do!

But I think I will invest my tax refund this year. However, I am going to invest it in a non-traditional way. I'm going to donate it all to my church's Believe campaign.

“Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.” Matthew 6:19-20

I am investing in eternity. I am investing in the lives that can be changed. I am investing in a mission.

I am going to stop stressing about it and give where I can and feel good about it. Because God loves a cheerful giver!

What are you going to do with your tax refund this year?

Oh and come back next Friday for my very first Blog giveaway contest! I got another awesome book about life lists and instead of being greedy and hording all these free books, I thought I'd pass on the love. Come back next Friday for more info!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Suz, I LOVE you idea to invest your refund in eternity! Any good investment advisor could give you several ways to make your money grow (or so they will say they can), but only God can truly put your money where it will do the most good! Our refund this year is going to fund our return mission trip to High Rock in the Bahamas. This year we will not stress over fund raising for ourselves because it is covered. God is good isn't He!!!
Brian

Anonymous said...

Hey Susan, you know I'm not that big on the whole church thing myself, but of course I always support all of my friends in their faith. I have a quick story for you. One of my old teachers moved all the way from FL to DE to take a low paying job in my old Christian school and she was struggling a lot for money but didn't tell anyone. She didn't want to seem ungrateful. One day she opened her mailbox and there was an envelope inside with $500. Now I know seems kinda weird. Cash in an envelope. But I guess its all in what you believe. Just thought that might help you feel a little better. Stress isn't good for anyone.

Jen