Monday, February 9, 2009

Match.com Mondays- Week 2

I think I am kind of getting the hang of this match.com thing. This week wasn’t as crazy and I didn’t feel as stressed about the whole process. Things are still rolling along. I still get new emails and winks every other day. Some guys are taking it slow and we are still in the email phase. While others have progressed to phone calls or even meeting in person! Here are some of the highlights:

-I had my second date with Canes guy this week. Just coffee after work. He is really cute and we have a good time talking, but I don’t know if there are any sparks. How long do you wait on sparks?

-I had another first date this week. He was nice and the conversation was good. While we were chatting I actually ending up running into a guy I went to high school with. He stopped by our table to say “Hi and wow small world”. Is it sad that I wanted to stay to chat with high school guy rather than leave and give my date a goodnight hug before getting in my car?

-I got an email from a guy this week and when I was looking at his profile, I recognized one of the people in one of his pictures. It was my Ex’s best friend’s wife! It was a group shot and I didn’t recognize any of the other people, but it makes me nervous that he is somehow connected to my Ex.

-I had a long phone chat with one of my favorites last week. I thought things went well, but it has been almost a week with no follow-up call or email or anything :(

-My poor dog is being affected by this dating thing too. He never gets attention because I am always on the computer, on the phone, or on a date. He is also having an effect on my dating life. I feel so guilty for being a bad mom that I have been cutting my dates short so Cam isn’t alone ALL day everyday!

-I have realized I am a little old fashioned. A few guys have given me their phone numbers, but I haven’t called them. I want to email them back and say “here’s my #. Why don’t you call me?” But is that too 5th graderish?

-I do have some tips for the guys on this whole match.com dating thing:

o Post a picture. I won’t even consider you without one.
o Send me a personal message. Mention something you read on my profile in your email to me and I will definitely respond. I don’t want to feel like you copy and pasted the message you sent to the last girl in your email to me. It doesn’t have to be long. Just “what kind of dog do you have?” rather than “You seem nice. Here’s more about me, blah, blah, blah….Email me back if you’re interested.”
o After a couple emails, ask me for my phone number. It’s an easier way to communicate.
o Keep up the communication. Random texts are a great way to stay in touch and keep you at the top of my mind throughout the week. If it goes more than 3-4 days without any communication I start to think you aren’t interested and just give up on you.
o When you ask me out, have a plan. Don’t just day “want to meet up for drinks sometime?” and then make me figure out the details.

-I have no idea what I am doing or if I am doing things wrong. I wish there was a guide for me out there! If you have any tips for me, let me know! It’s already starting to loose its luster a little. Dating is hard. I just want to run into someone as intrigued by me as I am by them, fall in love, and live happily ever after. Is that too much to ask?

4 comments:

Jane said...

It sounds to me like you are doing just fine! :-)

Pretty Unfamous said...

Good luck with things! It sounds like things are going good so far. I hope you get some more dates! As long as you're having fun, that's all that matters, right?

Working Girl Two said...

I just joined Match.com and oh.my.god it is so HARD! it's like you're going on a date with this guy and e-mailing this guy, and texting with this guy. It's hard to keep track of it all! So I feel for you!

I have been on 3 dates so far - the first one was good, but no spark and I tried going out with him again. It's like most of the guys I meet are SO nice but it's like eh, lackluster goodnight kisses and mediocre conversation. I say if no chemistry on the third date, move on. There are plenty of more fish in the Match.com sea.

Good luck! Dating is hard!

Andhari said...

I never tried online dating service, maybe because I live in Jakarta. I never see any interesting guys in local dating services here lmao