Sunday, December 11, 2011

Sunday Snippets

Sunday Snippets is where I share a little bit from what God is teaching me in my life- it could be through life experiences, the Sunday (or in my case Saturday this week) sermon at church, what I've been reading, or what we are studying in my small group.

This week it's a little bit of all the above.  We are working our way through first Peter at church and the big thing that stuck out from the sermon this week was how the church is a body of believers and just like the human body, we all have different roles.  He used the example that if you have an itch on your right elbow, a message has to be sent to your brain to feel the itch, the brain sends a message to the left hand to scratch the itch and the left hand takes action to relieve the itch on the right elbow.

I have definitely experienced this "body of believers" concept.  I was trying to describe to a friend that my small group was like this living, evolving thing that everyone contributes a little something different to.  It isn't a group of girls that are all exactly alike, but that is part of what makes it function because we all bring different things to the whole group dynamic.

My faith life would look completely different if I didn't see how God was working in their lives each week and be able to share my journey and get their feedback.  I used to think God didn't speak audibly to us anymore and get so jealous of those people in the Old Testament that got the hear God actually speaking to them or those who got to live with Jesus and have Him speak directly to them.  But God does speak to you.  He speaks to you through other believers who are a part of your life.  I have had conversations where it felt like God had taken control of my friends words and was speaking directly to me.  And some Sundays I am sitting there at church wondering if the pastor has been spying on me that week because it seems he is speaking directly to me and what is going on in my life.

You need to be a part of a community of others who share your faith so God can use them to speak to you and use you to speak to them.

1 Peter 4:11- "If anyone speaks, they should do so as one who speaks the very words of God. If anyone serves, they should do so with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ.  To him be the glory and power for ever and ever. Amen."


No comments: