Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Pinterest Inspired Wednesday- Christmas cooking

I've hosted Christmas at my house for the past couple years now.  It is just my mom, my uncle (her brother), and me.  This year they came up a few days early.  We were able to go to a hockey game and also go to Christmas Eve service at my church.

Having house guests also inspired me to try out some new recipes I've found on Pinterest.


First- Breakfast Casserole:


So I tried to pull this recipe up on my phone using the Pinterest app that morning, but that stupid app sucks sometimes.  It would only show my last 15 pins I had on that board and breakfast casserole wasn't one of them.  I didn't want to boot up my computer, so I just googled "breakfast casserole" and used one that had all the ingredients I had bought- which were crescent rolls, eggs, cheese and sausage.

Here is what mine looked like:

I was not a fan of this.  It wasn't bad.  I'm just not a big hearty breakfast eater.  I thought it had way too much cheese and sausage.  I would have rather had something lighter.

Luckily I also tried this recipe I found on Pinterest which was a huge hit!



I was so nervous making this because it seems a little weird when you are putting it together.  Here is the recipe:

2 Granny Smith apples
1 tsp vanilla
cinnamon
2 packages crescent rolls
1 1/2 cups sugar (see below for more on this)
2 sticks butter (just do it)
12 ounces Mountain Dew

(Like the blog I pulled this from, I just used half the recipe- 1 apple, 1 pkg crescent rolls, 3/4 cup sugar, 1 stick of butter, 1/2 a can of Mnt. Dew, a little bit of cinnamon and a little vanilla)

First you peel and slice the apples and then you wrap a crescent roll around them and put them in a baking dish.

Then you mix together the butter (melted), sugar and vanilla and then pour it over the apples. Then you pour 1/2 a can a Mnt. Dew over top and sprinkle them with cinnamon.  It will look weird but have faith.

Bake them in a 350 degree oven for 30-40 minutes.

When you take them out they will still look weird.  Mine had a pool of liquid in the bottom and they all smushed together in the tiny baking dish:


I served them with two small scoops of vanilla sugar free ice cream and OMG they were soooo good!  I will be making these again for sure!  I wonder if they would be just as good with Splenda and Diet Mnt. Dew?


What inspiring things have you tried from Pinterest lately?

4 comments:

Ally said...

I have made the breakfast casserole too and wasn't a fan. It felt off to me.

That apple thing looks delicious. I am so going to try it. I love pinterest cooking.

Allison said...

I've had those apple dumplings before and they are so yummy!

I am so glad you found my blog so I could find yours! I love finding other triangle bloggers! I would also love to talk to you about the Summit some time!

Shoshanah said...

I keep seeing those apple Mountain Dew crescent rolls and thinking it looks odd, but yummy. It good to hear that someone actually did make it and it actually turned out!

Jennifer M. said...

That casserole looks delish!