Thursday, February 11, 2010

40 Before 40

I only have 6 months to finish my 30 Before 30 List. I don't know if I will get everything done. I really don't. But I guess I am okay with that because I will just add them to my ever growing 40 Before 40 list.

That's right. I have slowly been making my next list. This one will be much better because I am giving myself 10 years instead of 2 to accomplish the things on the list. Do you know that if I make a list for every decade of my life from 30-70 and only accomplish 50% of the things on the list, I will have accomplished 125 things before I am 70. I think that is pretty good.

I mean if I didn't make this 30 Before 30 list I probably wouldn't have swam with a dolphin. I know I wouldn't have ever sang kareoke. I would have never bought a designer purse or the diamond earings I wear everyday (by the way, I think these purchases have actually saved me money!). I would still be avioding babies like the plauge.

I like the list concept. It makes you always keep your goals in mind and keeps you from just wasting your life away.

Here are the things I have on my next list already:
-Take a cooking class
-Learn to play golf
-Get a house with a garage and a front porch
-Host a dinner party
-Take a hot air balloon ride
-Visit all 50 states
-Ride a mortorcycle
-Visit all the NC lighthouses
-Get laser eye surgery
-Get married
-Have kids
-Get a facial
-Get a pair of Louboutins
-Learn the Thriller dance
-See a UNC/Duke men's basketball game live

That's all I've got so far. What do you think?

Have you done any of these?

Any suggestions to add to the list?

9 comments:

Sam said...

Out of your list so far, I've done one of those things. I've taken a hot air balloon ride before. I did it with my dad in 5th grade and I remember it being kinda boring. And hot. I think I would enjoy more now that I'm older though so I wouldn't mind giving it another try :)

Jenn said...

I like your list so far. Are you going to include the unaccomplished items from your 30 list?
I know it sounds weird, but I had a list and I put on it: go for a professional bra fitting. It was the best thing I decided to do. I feel so much more comfortable now that everything...fits.

Christina said...

Great list! I have done a lot of the things on the list (but I nearly half way through my thirties). What about running a marathon? I am finally going to tackle that goal this year.

Maureen said...

I like your list so far! Go on a hot air balloon ride and visit all 50 states are on my life list. I'm still in my mid/late 20's but I haven't done anything on that list except host a dinner party. That one will be super easy for you! And I'm engaged, so I guess I'll get to the getting married part. What about something related to music? I've always wished I was good at one musical instrument, so when my parents give me their piano after I get married I think I'll take lessons. Maybe you've already got that one down, but just an idea! Good luck!

Jenthebeachbum said...

Great list Susan, I've done some of these things. What matters most is that you are doing these things because you want to and they are bringing you joy, happiness and sense of accomplishment for yourself. That is why I don't have any suggestions, because it has to be something that matters to you, not to anyone else. You wouldn't want to have something on your list, even if you can cross it off of your list if it doesn't appeal to you right? Then what is the point.

Oh yeah and designer things do save you money in the long run.

The Depressed Yogi said...

I like the list idea, too! Also, I first heard about 30 Before 30 List on your blog. My sister just turned 30 in January and was feeling super bummed about it, complaining that she didn't even have a 30 before 30 list so obvi she didn't complete it. Well, I made her a 30 Things You've Accomplished Before 30 list, and she was UBER touched. So lists of all kinds rule!!!

Anonymous said...

I have completed 4 of this. I've been to 25 out of 50 states, visited some of the NC lighthouses. Hot air ballon ride is in my list too.

Optimistic Pessimist said...

I like this list! I'm getting to close to 30 to do a 30 before 30 list, but I have been thinking of doing one...it will probably take me until I hit 30 to make up a 40 before 40 list. Guess I should get started.

Erica Walters said...

Lasik surgery is definitely worth it! I wanted it all through college and finally did it 3 years ago. I had to take a loan out on my 401k, but I didn't regret that one bit!!