Monday, January 4, 2010

Thank you Uncle Sam!

I just found out that the government extended paying for 65% of my COBRA coverage through the end of July! I am so freaking excited!

I had spent the lst month and a half applying for individual coverage because my COBRA was about to go up to over $500 at the end of January. It was a very nerve-wrecking process that included divuldging my complete medical history and an interview with them where they knew every doctor I had ever visited and every prescription I had ever had and I had to explain every one.

This morning I got the approval for individual coverage in my email and signed up for it even though it was the worst possible coverage with ridiculously high co-pays and deductibles and I would be paying $225/mo. instead of $190/mo. (I was happy with that because I expected A LOT worse from what I had heard.)

But when I called to cancel my COBRA coverage they asked why I was canceling and I explained I could not afford over $500/mo. They told me the government had extended that extra coverage and it would cover me under the lower rate until the end of JULY!!

I quickly called BCBS and asked them to cancel my individual coverage (they had no problem with that since my group COBRA policy is through them too so they are getting paid one way or another!)

I have a few more months of good health care coverage and less worry! Thank you God! and Uncle Sam!

P.S. My last post on being Single was just for laughs, so no rude comments please. KTHXBYE!

4 comments:

Jane said...

That's great news! :-)

AnnQ said...

Awesome! :-)

Shoshanah said...

Great to hear your COBRA discount is continuing!

Jenthebeachbum said...

that is great. It is really scary not having good enough insurance.