Friday, January 8, 2010

Temper Tantrum

I think I know what 2 year olds feel like when they throw temper tantrums now.

Have you ever just been so frustrated because you weren't getting your way, you felt like no one was listening to you, you couldn't effectively communicate your frustrations, you were tired, angry, and hurt emotionally and you just wanted everything to be okay again? I imagine that is what a 2 year old feels like when he is throwing a temper tantrum. And it's kind of how I felt last night.

I won't go into all the details, but it had been a long day/week/month/year already, and I was tired and stressed and needed some help. I hate asking for help, so that didn't help the situation either. Well all this combined with some disappointment and hurtful words turned into my very own temper tantrum.

I was mean, said hurtful things, I was sick of it, I was whiny, and I just wanted it to be over. I felt like I wasn't getting anywhere with a perticular individual and I was frustrated at my overwhelming to-do list running through the back of my head and all my money worries creeping into my thoughts. I probably wasn't concentrating on what was being said either, and it's just so darn frustrating! I almost feel another temper tantrum coming on right now just thinking about it.

While I may not lie down on the floor and scream and cry (ok maybe every once in a while), I do shut down and lash out when I feel overwhelmed. It's my own grown-up version on a temper tantrum. I guess there are some things that I'll never out-grow.

Do you throw grown up temper tantrums? How do you and the people around you deal with them?

9 comments:

Steph said...

Can't lie...I shake my fists and squeal.

Sam said...

I threw so many when I was in my last relationship. Thinking about them now, I'm quite embarrassed by them and feel bad. I only threw them then, so maybe it was his fault haha. But I definitely know how you feel.

Jenn said...

Um, sometimes I have "dance breaks." When I think I'm going to snap I go into bathroom at work and do a little dance. It lets out steam and I feel silly rather than angry (and a little scared someone will walk in on me).

Anonymous said...

i totally know exactly what you mean. i was even talking with sean about this yesterday. we were talking about his nephew who was throwing a tantrum. i was saying "i can see why they throw them. they don't know any other way to express how they are feeling." i think that is why we throw them too. we just cant express it but we need to somehow..and sometimes it results in an explosion..but don't worry! you are not alone! i do it too often and i hate when it happens and i am aware that i am being childish but i just cant conrol it..
anyway, hang in there! i hope today has been better!

Amber @ A Little Pink in the Cornfields said...

Oh, of course. There are times when I pout, whine (and possibly stomp my feet) and when I'm getting that way I know I just need to be alone. I need to get home as fast as possible and just chill.

AuntBT said...

Absolutely, I bottle it all up and then just start screaming at everyone for every little thing. Eventually I just cry it all out.

I hope things are going better today!!

Jenthebeachbum said...

all the time.

Ant said...

At times I do as well, my husband just lets me be just so I can get it out of my system, honeslty I tend to break things when I'm overly frustrated LOL

Erin said...

I hear you on this. I get in a funk sometimes and if too many things push my buttons at those times, something of a tantrum can result. Hormones make it way worse! I really hope things start turning around for you.