Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Adventures in Babysitting

So I forgot to tell you, I babysat an infant for the first time on Saturday. I babysat in college and high school quite often, but never for someone still in diapers. I volunteered to watch my friend Heather’s little Avery if they wanted to go out to a movie or something, just because I think the whole reason I put a few baby things on my list was because I need some more experience with those little buggers.

Here’s what I learned:

1. If you try to take a bottle slowly out of the mouth of a baby who is falling asleep, she will immediately wake up and start sucking the crap out of it

2. Snaps on a onesie can be hard to line up on a girl who loves to kick her chubby little legs in your face (maybe she’s a future rockette!)

3. When a baby starts whining or getting fussy, you have this instinct to comfort them and make them quiet again. I don’t know how I could ever let them cry it out

4. Walking and swaying is very soothing to a baby but can be hard on your back

5. The black remote does not change the channel on their TV, it will cause the TV to say “No Signal”, and once you loose nick jr., you have to do all the entertaining yourself!

Overall it wasn’t too bad at all. Kind of scary to think of having one of those all the time, but I’d fill in for someone else in a pinch again!

But the funniest thing of all that I learned from this adventure didn’t happen until this morning when I read Heather’s blog.

Go check it out!

1 comment:

Chip said...

I'm making my own 30 before 30 list right now. I just looked at yours and I really liked it. It gave me some great ideas. I haven't published my list yet, but if you wanna follow I'll be posting it soon. Glad to see I'm not the only one that wants to make a list and mark off a list before I turn 30. BTW I'm about 1 year and 2 months away from turning 30. Good luck with your list.