Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Year of Cooking- Weeks 1 & 2

This year one of my new year’s resolutions was to cook at home more.  I want to try at least one new recipe a week.  And I’m always hoping it will be good because when you cook for one, you are going to be eating leftovers for a few days.  Starting out I am really trying to keep it simple.

Week One I went for something that sounded a little weird but super easy.  It turned out to be really good!  It will be one of my go-to recipes from now on.

Tasty Cola Chicken

Ingredients:
4 chicken breasts
1 cup ketchup (I used the reduced sugar kind)
1 can diet soda (I used Coke Zero)
--------------------------------------------------------
Directions:
1. Put chicken in non-stick skillet
2. Pour ketchup and diet cola over the top
3. Bring to boil
4. Cover, reduce heat and cook for 45 minutes
5. Uncover, turn up the heat and continue to cook until the sauce becomes thick and adheres to the chicken

Week Two sounded really yummy and really easy too.  But I was disappointed with this one.  It was way too spicy for me (even after I tried to cool it down with some ranch the second time I ate it).  I like spicy, but I guess this proved I am kind of a wimp.

Crock Pot Buffalo Chicken wraps
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
12 ounces of bottled buffalo wing sauce (I used Franks Red Hot)
1/2 of a package of dry ranch salad dressing mix
1 tablespoons butter
------------------
Extras:
tortillas
shredded lettuce
ranch dressing
shredded cheese (I used mozzarella)
------------------
Place the chicken breasts into a slow cooker and pour in the wing sauce and the ranch dressing mix. Cover, and cook on Low for 5-6 hours (or more or less depending on how hot your crock gets).
Once the chicken has cooked, add the butter, and shred the meat finely with two forks. Return to crock for about 10 minutes to mix 'n mingle.

Scoop chicken onto tortillas, and add any extras.

Going forward I’ll try to take some pics and do something a little more challenging!

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

The cola chicken sounds interesting! I might have to give it a try. This is a great goal. =]