Wednesday, June 24, 2009

I want my money

Remember how I said I felt bad about taking unemployment, well not anymore. The only problem is I haven't got any money from my unemployment insurance and it has been almost 2 months!

Here's the story. So, my former employer told me that I would get my last check from them May 14th. So that following Monday I filed for unemployment. There was a one week waiting period where I wouldn't be paid, but benefits should have started that following week. Well my former employer paid me again on May 29. I don't know what it was for because it was direct deposited in my account and I got no pay stub. I think it was for unused vacation time because it was a weird amount.

This however screwed me. Now the unemployment office says there is an unresolved issue on my account so none of my claims can be paid. I talked to someone a few weeks ago and told them the situation and they said they would note it my account. But since then I have heard nothing. I have been trying to get in touch with someone for the past three days and I can't get through on any of the three numbers I have for them. So I finally sent an email and they sent an automated reply that said it may take several days to get a response.

I would have been okay on money except that Volkswagen charged me $1300 for excess wear and tear on my leased beetle bug. That was like 6 month's worth of car payments! I got them to give me 15% discount, but only if I paid it immediately. So I did. Never ever will I lease a vehicle again and I sure as hell won't ever get a VW again.

So now my mortgage is due next week and I have enough in savings to cover it, but after that it will be really tight. The only good thing is I think I have a job and I should start the week after July 4th. I didn't get 2 weeks vacation like I wanted, but I can take unpaid time off if needed, so I figured beggars can't be choosers and decided to go for it.

I'm excited because I have always wanted to do something in real estate, but never had the guts to jump in to being an agent and pay all these up front costs and pray that I sell a house so I can get paid. This way I will be able to get a taste of real estate along with a steady pay check. Sure it won't be as much as I was making, but sometimes you have to sacrifice for your dream.

But note to the NC Unemployment Commission: I still want my money!

3 comments:

Pretty Unfamous said...

KEEEEEEP calling them! Seriously.

My dad's been unemployed for almost a year now. It takes a couple tries, but you'll get through. Or, just go down to the office and speak to someone in person!

Jane said...

I don't know if you watch Family Guy, but the title of your blog instantly made me think of an episode where Brian loses a bet with Stewie, and then for the rest of the episode Stewie terrorizes Brian saying, "Where's my money? I want my money man." :-D

It's a shame that the state governments don't take better care of people when it comes to unemployment. I don't think I have heard a good story about an unemployment office in any state. :-( I will be praying for you that things get resolved soon.

Kim said...

You deserve your money and don't stop fighting for it. They owe it to you for that period of time. I'd hound them every single day.