Friday, October 17, 2008

Intro to the Defining Character Series: Exploring Virtues

Something I have been struggling with in recent years is finding the balance of living in the moment and planning/worrying about the future. In fact I think that’s something almost everyone struggles with. But in your 20’s it is just more apparent because you have so many decisions to make all on your own. Work, Family, Fun…everything in your life is changing and being re-defined.

I have been thinking a lot about who I am exactly. What is important to me? Where do I want to be and how do I get there? How do I want to come across to people? What is important to me? (This is a big one because once I graduated and entered the working world I immediately lost A LOT of time so I now have to really prioritize…seriously can we just get 2 extra hours in each day…or move to a 4 day workweek?)

So…I am expanding #1 on my list. When I said “Get in the best shape of my life”, I was strictly thinking in the physical sense or my body. But I am expanding that to include the mind and spirit as well. I am going to take a deeper look at my character and work on getting that in shape too.

Definition of Character: one of the attributes or features that make up and distinguish an individual

First I am going to look at some virtues that are important to me:

Trust
Loyalty
Compassion
Faith
Fun
Justice
Gratitude
(I may add more to the list later)

Each week I am really going to examine each or these virtues, why it is important to me and what I can do to incorporate each of these in my life even more. I think in order to strengthen your character, you need to work at it, just like you have to work at keeping your body in shape. Do you agree? What virtues are important to you?

In the meantime I am hoping to have an AWESOME time at this super scary haunted house this weekend! And I will be doing the Parade of Homes tour to pick out my new dream house. Something like this:

No comments: