Wednesday, April 29, 2009

I Need a Drill Sergeant

I am so not motivated lately. I don’t know if it is because I am overwhelmed, drained, lazy, defeated, or some combination of all of the above. I don’t want to get out of bed in the morning. I don’t want to go to work. I don’t want to clean my house. I don’t want to exercise. I can’t stop eating and shopping. I’m no psychologist, but I would say I have a problem.

Something just feels off in my life and I just can’t seem to muster up the energy to get it back on track. I don’t even know where to start.

The funny thing is that I don’t feel sad or anxious or upset about anything. I’m not depressed. In fact I’m pretty content or even happy most of the time.

There are things I want to change, like the amount of dog hair in my house and the size of the fat cells on my body but I just can’t get motivated to actually do anything.

I am so tired. My routine feels so off. I have no energy to push myself. And this is so not me.

That is why I feel like I need a drill sergeant to get back on track. I need someone to blow a whistle in my face every morning, tell me my tasks for that day, and stay on me until I get them done.

I’m at a loss. I need help. Any advice?

5 comments:

Optimistic Pessimist said...

I got good advice a few weeks ago when I didn't want to go for a run...When you don't want to exercise is when you need to do it the most. So I did it and they were right...I felt so excited/relieved/confident afterwards that it really helped.

The Book Addict said...

Maybe you're a love-sick puppy?

Shoshanah said...

If you find a good one, maybe you could send them my way? I would completely make use of one as well

Patty said...

This happens to me a couple times a year - it's pretty frustrating that all the goals I'd be working toward (running distance, home organization, cooking at home) suddenly go on hold and I'm disappointed that I'm going to have to start all over again. I know it wouldn't be so bad if I started up again RIGHT NOW, but all I can manage to do is eat cookies, play tower defense and buy things off my Amazon wishlist.

My advice is: don't be so hard on yourself. There's only so much motivation and willpower to go around, and this is the flipside for all those weeks when you managed to get everything done and then some. What with all the nonvoluntary physical effects (hunger, tiredness, distractabilty) it's probably your body and brain telling you that it's time to take it easy. I'm sure you're the type of person who thrives on accomplishment and enjoys working towards something, so eventually you'll have the desire to get back on the horse. As long as you're still getting your critical work done (paying bills, doing your paying work, keeping up on personal hygene, etc) and don't go overboard with the shopping, you should just trust that your body knows what it's doing and enjoy the albeit involuntary semi-vacation.

Anonymous said...

Hi Suz,

I have an idea for you that’s a little unorthodox but just hear me out.

A good friend of mine has recently been separated from his wife and I’ve been helping him through it because he trusts me. We email or talk at least every day and he’s progressing better than he thought he ever could. All throughout my life, people have felt like they could come to me for advice on anything because they trust me and know that I'll give it to them straight. So lately, I’ve been researching on becoming a certified Life Coach and I’d like to help you.

I have a blog as well (justmycuppatea.wordpress.com) and I’d like to be your online drill sergeant. I’d like to blog about you and your need for a drill sergeant. I’d provide you with advice and some goals and you can in turn respond and write about your progress (if you choose to try this out).

Let me know what you think?