Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Pinterest Inspired Dinners

I have TONS of recipes  pinned on Pinterest.  I doubt I will ever make it through them all, but I got to try out two new ones last week.

First up...Mexican Lasagna!


Ingredients

1 can (10 3/4 ounces) Campbell's Condensed Cheddar Cheese Soup
1/4 cup milk
1 package (about 1 ounce) fajita seasoning mix
1 pound ground beef
1 can (10 3/4 ounces) Campbell's Condensed Mushroom Soup
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves, crushed
12 corn tortillas (5-to 6- inch)
Chopped tomatoes (optional)
Sliced green onions (optional)


Preparation

Stir cheese soup, milk and half the fajita seasoning in medium bowl until mixture is smooth.

Cook beef in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat until well browned, stirring often to separate meat. Pour off any fat.

Now here is where I had to improvise...
Stir mushroom soup, water, chili powder, oregano and remaining fajita seasoning in skillet and heat to a boil.

Well I realized I did not have chili powder after I was already in the middle of this, so I had to find a substitute.  I used cayenne pepper!  I was nervous this was going to make it too spicy but it really didn't at all.  In fact when I make this again I am going to try a few things to make it even more spicy!

Reduce heat to low. Cook for 5 minutes. Remove skillet from heat.

Place 3 tortillas in the bottom of a 2-quart shallow baking dish, overlapping slightly.

I took the third one and tore it in half to fit the dish better.

Spread 1 cup beef mixture over the tortillas. Repeat layers twice. Top with remaining tortillas. Spread the cheese soup mixture over the tortillas.

Bake at 350°F. for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbling. Let stand for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with the tomatoes and onions, if desired.

I didn't have any green onions so I used diced chilies.

Here's how mine turned out...


This was pretty good and really easy so I think I will probably make it again.  But I might tweak this and add some corn and black beans and maybe more cayenne pepper and chili powder.  Any other suggestions?

I also tried this:

Source: yumsugar.com via ncsuz on Pinterest


The pin said Spaghetti Aglio... Garlic, chili flakes, olive oil, salt and pepper. so simple.

Well I didn't have any garlic so I substituted oregano and I added Parmesan cheese.

Here's how mine turned out..


This was very light and easy.  Although I do think I went too heavy on the chili flakes because it was a little spicy!

What's been your favorite Pinterest Inspired meal?

Linking up:

No comments: