Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Pinterest Inspired Wednesday- Crock Pot BBQ

Guess what??  Time for another crock pot recipe!  I love making these because I will make something in the crock pot on Sunday and then have left overs for dinner for the entire week!  Yes, it sucks eating the same thing over and over sometimes, but it is so easy and takes the guess work out of dinner!

Last weekend I made pulled pork BBQ in the crock pot.  I LOVE BBQ!  North Carolina is known for our BBQ.  We basically have two styles- Eastern and Western (eastern is served more in the eastern part of the state and western more towards the mountains).  The Eastern style BBQ is more of a vinegar based BBQ and it is more "chopped" rather that "pulled".  The Western style BBQ is more saucy and sweet and it is not so chopped and more of a pulled or shredded style.  I like both!  This was more of a western style I would say.

I actually had two inspiration pins for this one and kind of combined ideas from the two:







Crock Pot BBQ


3-4 lb "Boston Butt" pork piece of meat (I am not good with meat shopping so I don't know the exact terminology.  But I do know it was pork and "boston butt" was in the description)
1 1/2 cans of diet root beer
Lawry's Seasoning Salt
1/2 bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's sweet n tangy BBQ sauce
salt and pepper


1. Cover the meat with seasoning salt, salt and pepper.
2. Put it in the crock pot and fill crock pot about 1/2 full of diet root beer
3. Squeeze about 1/2 a bottle of BBQ sauce over meat.
4. Cover, turn cock pot on high, and cook for about 8 hours turning the meat over once after about 4 hours.
5. At the end of 8 hours take the meat out of the pot and shred (there was left over crap in my pot and I also threw away a lot of the really fatty parts.)

I also made slaw...

Simple Slaw


1 big bag of shredded cabbage and carrots
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup mayo
1/2 cup cider vinegar
salt and pepper


Combine all ingredients in a big container.  Let sit for a little while in the fridge before serving.

The original recipe called for 1/4 cup of each but I must have had much more cabbage because that barely did anything, so I doubled it.  There was some left over "juice" in the bottom, but I really liked it!

I bought small dinner potato rolls and made sliders:


I LOVED them!  The slaw and the BBQ was really good!  I will definitely be making these again!

So...the reason why I really started this Pinterest Inspired Wednesday series was because I want to see what you guys have made, bought, baked, or have been inspired to DO based on a pin you pinned on pinterest!  Sometimes they turn out good and sometimes not so good.  Was it all you ever hoped for or did it let you down?  Was it as easy as they say or incredibly hard?  I want to give you guys a place to link up to and see what other people have tried from Pinterest.  I am going to keep doing these every Wednesday through the end of May and have the link up available here, so share your experiences too! 



And as always Follow Me on Pinterest so I can get more ideas of things to DO!



1 comment:

Jenthebeachbum said...

This looks delicious!!! I'm totally trying both recipes. Thanks!