Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Good Karma sent via USPS

A few weeks ago I signed up for Kaileen Elise's Good Karma Gift Swap. I've done one other swap before and loved it. Something about packages on your doorway from strangers is just the best!

I sent off my package to Laura filled with goodies to comfort, calm, celebrate and inspire creativity. You'll have to watch her blog to see what I sent.

I got my package from Kristen on Friday. It had been a long stressful day, so a package on my doorstop couldn't have been more perfect.

Here's what I got:



A lavender and grapefruit bodywash to calm. Some cute planters to plant some herbs or flowers in for comfort. Dinner Party invites (that I forgot in the picture but trust me they are super cute!) to inspire creativity. And some chocolate to celebrate! She even threw in some doggie cookies for Cam! Thank you Kristen for my great gifts!

Well on Sunday I was getting ready to go to bed and took some trash outside. When I came back in I saw the chocolate bar wrapper on the floor...empty. I had broken off one square that afternoon and left the rest on the counter for later. Apparently Cam snuck the chocolate bar off the counter and devoured it in the 5 minutes I was outside!

I kind of freaked out because I know chocolate is toxic for dogs. I was on the phone with a friend and she just told me to give him some pepto and he'd be fine. That made me relax a little. But then I posted about it on Facebook and some people started freaking me out- suggesting peroxide...um what? So I called my vet and they had a after hours number. I called that and told them the situation. They asked how much my dog weighed and how many ounces the chocolate bar was. The vet said it should be fine, that 3.5 oz. wasn't enough to poison a 50 lb. dog. But to watch out for vomiting and diareah over the next 24 hours. It was hard to sleep that night, but Cam ended up being fine.

I was kind of mad at him about eating my chocolate, but I probably didn't need it anyway. But for now I am holding the rest of the doggie cookies hostage.


By the way, I learned Kaileen is also from Raleigh! We might try to get together a little Raleigh blogger meet up sometime. Are any of you from Raleigh and interested in meeting up?

6 comments:

Carly said...

Looks like you scored some awesome things! Happy to hear Cam is alright but what a bummer he ate the chocolate... I probably would have held the cookies hostage, too! ;o)

Micaela said...

what a great and thoughtful gift! i loooove the planters and that she threw in something for your pup :) how so very sweet!!!!

xo

Aritza, Goddess of .. said...

That's a really great package to receive on a friday night :) after a long week !

I'm glad Cam is okay, I probably would've freaked out as well if I had a dog and he accidentaly ate chocolate. Well, I bet if we asked Cam he'd say it wasn't an accident, but you know what I mean :)

He's still adorable ! Enjoy what's left of your presents :)

heidi said...

Fun package! I would've worried about the chocolate too. Those dogs are so sneaky like that!

akarmaproject said...

OH NO! I am so sorry Cam got into the chocolate! My dog would have done the same thing - sneaky puppies.

When I was little, my parents dog ate 1,000 chocolate covered espresso beans - he was okay - but it's so scary.

I'm glad you liked your package :)

Jen said...

I'm glad Cam is ok. My sister's dog ate a bunch of cookies with nuts in them, nuts are worse than chocolate. My old dog was a little 12lb pekenise and she accidentally ate one of my ephederine diet pills (back in the day when they were legal). I cried for hours bc the vet said there was nothing I could do and she might have a heart attack. Nothing happened though, she just got really thirsty.