Monday, November 10, 2008

How Rude!*

Isn't it amazing how 1 or 2 rude people can totally ruin your day? You are going along all happy-go-lucky and everything seems fine when BAM!* Some rude lady ruins your whole mood and puts you in a tailspin for the rest of the day. I bet it would take 10-20 nice things to un-do the effects of one rude experience.

I was doing fine today. Things were working out. I found out my flight doesn't leave until 8:55 am tomorrow which will give me time to drop off Cam at doggie daycare at 7:30 when they open. (I thought my flight was at 8 am and was freaking out what to do with Cam).

Then I called this doctor's office in Brier Creek prepared to wait months for an appointment (I've had multiple friends recommend this place), but I got one for the first week in December! (I'm trying to make steps toward #16- find a Dr. I can trust). There were no major fires or drama at work. I was in a pretty good mood.

But then I went to lunch. I took my notebook in with me to Firehouse Subs because there is always a wait for my sandwich there. After I ordered I got my drink and sat at a table and opened my notebook to do some work. Then this little foreign lady yells "Susan". I start gathering up my stuff and look up at the counter where she hasn't even put my sandwich yet and no less then 3.2 seconds later (a little louder this time) "Susan". I am right in front of the counter and say "I'm right here" and as I pick up my notebook everything falls out. Papers everywhere. And as I bend down to pick them up I hear again (more mean and louder than ever) "Susan!" I want to die. I stand up quickly (papers still in the floor) and grab my sandwich. I bend down and quickly pick up the other papers and turn to leave when a different mean Firehouse Subs lady says very loudly "Is there a Susan in here?" I turn around and she is holding a bill that must have fallen out of my notebook in her hand. I try to smile as I take it from her, but my mood is completely shot now. All of this happened in less then 3 minutes, but it felt like eternity. I was like the dorky kid in the lunchroom that dropped my tray and stood there stupidly while everyone laughed and the mean lunch lady screamed my name over and over to make sure everyone knew who I was. And now I just want to go home.

*Re-reading this post when I was done writing made me feel like I was in an episode of Full House guest starring Emril.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Clicked over randomly from the NaBloPoMo site, and "Brier Creek" and "Firehouse Subs" caught my eye. Isn't there a Pei Wei next to Firehouse Subs? We used to live in Chapel Hill, and we drove over there for Pei Wei more often than I'd care to admit. Small world!

Jane said...

I definitely know what you mean about it taking multiple nice things happening to undo the effects of one rude thing happening. It's a shame, isn't it? I've always wondered why it is sometimes so difficult for people to be nicer to one another.