Monday, July 12, 2010

This is how I know I'm getting old

I got my hair cut on Friday.  I got bangs!  When I got home I was admiring my new do in the mirror when I spotted something that did not belong.  I got rid of it and then I saw another one.  And another one.  All in all I plucked SIX grey hairs out of my head.  I'm pretty sure I got them all, but I do not like this trend.  Grey hair!? at 30?!  Granted it was only 6 little strands, but still!  Grey hair means you are old.


Another way that I can tell I am getting old is that I wear flats.  I NEVER wore flats until about a year or 2 ago.  I am very short and flats just didn't do it for me.  I liked the height and pizazz that heels gave me.  Now I hate wearing heels.  They hurt my freaking feet.  80% of the time now you can find me wearing these:


My comfy rainbows rarely leave my feet and they are starting to show it.  I need a new pair!

Another way I can tell I am getting old is that my boobs aren't where they used to be.  They almost needed no support back in the day and now you can definitely tell when I am not wearing a bra.  A few years ago I read something about the pencil test.  If you place a pencil under your boob and it falls out then your boobs were perky.  Mine passed that test not too long ago, but when I tried it again recently they both failed miserably.

In exactly one month I will turn 30!  I will no longer be a twenty-something.  I'm sad.  I really enjoyed my twenties.  I had A LOT of fun.  Learned a lot.  Grew up a lot.  I'm sad to be leaving this decade behind.  I also feel like I failed a little.  I didn't get married in my twenties like I thought I would.  I didn't have a baby in my twenties like I thought I would.  And I am getting a little nervous that I may have run out of time to have the life I dreamed of with a huge family, the loving husband, and the big house with two cars.

But I guess this gives me a lot to look forward to in my thirties.  Hopefully I will fall in love and have some babies.  But if not, I know God has something just as good in store for me.  I'm really trying to enter this next decade with optimism, but in all honesty, I wish I could drag my twenties out just a little longer.

In a way I am....if you look at The List you will realize there is no way I can mark everything off in the next month.  The "travel abroad" and "Mission trip" and "Find a job I love" ones took up a lot more time and energy than I thought.  I also think I was a little overly-ambitious trying to do all of these things in just 2 years. So I am taking my whole 30th year to say goodbye to my twenties and finish the list.  Even if there are all these signs that I am officially getting old!

2 comments:

Tales of Our Journey said...

You should be proud of your accomplishments! Even if you didn't complete the list you still were able to check off most of it. Life is one day at a time and in some cases one hour, minute, second... Not everything goes as planned and I think that's what keeps us on our toes!

Looking back if I would have done everything I had planned then I wouldn't have my own house, a husband... But there are things I really wish I would have accomplished like getting my Masters, moving out of the state...

Hang in there! You're not old by any means! *HUG*

Jenthebeachbum said...

Ha, I was old 10 years ago then because I've been getting gray hair for about that lond (a family trait) and well my boobs haven't been perky since I was maybe 11 years old. I can tell you I've been 30 for all of 3 months now and I love it so much better than my 20s. Sure my 20's were fun and exciting, but I am 100% convinced that the 30's is where its at.