Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Hate scares the crap out of me

I am stressed. So stressed. There is so much to do both at home and at work.

And in the back of my mind I am scared. I am scared because I am leaving my little bubble of a world to travel abroad soon. I keep having nightmares that I am going to get kidnapped and sold into sex slavery like in the movie Taken. I keep having dreams that I will get arrested for some little misunderstanding and spend the next 5 years in a foreign jail.  I keep having visions of being in the wrong place at the wrong time and ending up being killed in a terrorist attack.

Today I learned that a family in our church lost a son in the bombing in Uganda. Their son was over there working with an organization that works with war affected children and child soldiers. Then yesterday their other son was injured in a plane crash on his way to be with the family.

This story freaked me out. Bombing, plane crash? And all of it hitting so close to home right now.

I read an ABC news story about the bombing and one of the commanders of the organization suspected of the bombing told the AP "Uganda is one of our enemies. Whatever makes them cry, makes us happy. May Allah's anger be upon those who are against us."

Hate sucks. It makes people crazy and dangerous and evil. War sucks. But what can you do? Usually the answer is forgiveness, but what if the USA just told Bin Laden “Oh we forgive you,” and left it at that? For some reason I don't think that would work.  But seriously the evil and hate I see in this world sometimes scares the crap out of me. It comes in all forms and all types and many disguises. It hurts so many people.  And a lot of the time that hurt can lead to more and more hate.

I don’t have any solutions for all the hate, wars, and evil in the world, but I do know that it scares the crap out me.

No comments: