Friday, July 25, 2008

Inspiration from the Last Lecture

Today Carnegie Mellon Professor Randy Pausch died at his home in Chesapeake , Va. In his last lecture at the university Sept. 18, 2007, before a packed McConomy Auditorium, he spoke about how he fulfilled his childhood dreams (all except playing in the NFL) and how he went on to become a professor to enable others to follow their childhood dreams. It is a great speech and very inspiring.

I saw him and parts of his last lecture on Oprah (yes, I love Oprah). It was one of the best episodes I have ever seen. It touched me personally because Randy was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer which is what my dad died of. So I just knew the long difficult journey he had in front of him. But he had such a great outlook and it was so moving. In fact one of the most memorable things for me from the speech was when he talked about how you have to choose whether you are going to be a Tigger or an Eeyore. Which are you?

Other great tips from the speech:

When it comes to men that are romantically interested in you, don’t pay attention to anything they say, just what they do.

Brick walls are there to let us show our dedication.

Tell the truth and be earnest.

Apologize when you screw up.

Focus on other people and not on yourself.

When people give you feedback, cherish it and use it.

Show gratitude.

Find the best in everybody.

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity.

In the news article I read on his passing there was a great quote from him about living life to the fullest. He said, "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully."

Just more inspiration for my list! We’re all here for a reason and it is up to us to watch the signs that guide us on the journey and have fun along the way. I don't think I would be prepared to give my own "Last Lecture" if asked to today. I guess that is why I am keeping this blog- so that I won't forget anything along the way and I can share it with all of you!

If you haven’t seen Randy Pausch's Last Lecture it is great, so check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji5_MqicxSo

or check out his book:


http://www.paperbackswap.com/book/details/9781401323257-The+Last+Lecture

No comments: