Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Ten on Tuesday

My brain is fried.  I meant to post this earlier, but you know how it goes.  Just wanted to share some random thoughts so I can get back into the habit of blogging regularly.  Here we go...

1. I don't understand this ALS ice bucket challenge thing.  In the videos people say "You have 24 hours to accept this challenge or donate $100 to ALS."  I mean I guess it is a good way for people who can't donate to spread the word, but I feel like it has turned into this "look at me dump water on my head" thing.  It is bothering me, but it's good that it's raised so much awareness and money.

2. I have to get more shots for my Kenya trip tomorrow.  Let me tell you this whole vaccination thing has made me thankful for electronic medical records.  I have no record of my shots except for the past 3 years and trying to get past medical information is an act of congress.  Also I hate needles.  I got the Typhoid and Yellow Fever shots last week so at least I know I can just suck it up and get through it but I'm so ready for all these shots to be over.  Also these shots ain't cheap!  It was over $300 for the 2 I got last week!

3. I watched a TED talk yesterday and this conception to birth video blew my mind.  I mean the complexity of creating a human is amazing.  God is an amazing engineer!



4. Reality TV has gotten me through the summer.  Big Brother. Bachelorette and Bachelor in Paradise.  Dance Moms.  Raising Asia.  It's my guilty pleasure.

5.   I got a Jawbone UP a few weeks ago and I am obsessed with it.  Best purchase I have made in a while.  I got the old version which was only $79!  Anybody else have an UP?

6.  One of the girls in my bible study went on this Kenya trip back in June and showed me pictures from the trip.  One of the things I was most worried about was the bathroom situation.  It is literally a shack with a hole in the ground.  Literally a hole. in the ground. This is probably TMI but...I was even contemplating taking Imodium so I wouldn't have to go #2 while we are in the village during the day and almost threw a party when according to my period tracker I wasn't supposed to start until the day we come home when I will at least have access to airport bathrooms.  Then I saw this video.  And I felt really guilty about being worried about myself for 10 days when these girls have to worry about it all the time.



7. I read a great blog post yesterday.  The title was "God I am worn out" and all I could think was Amen!  In it she talks about how a tree has to shed it's leaves to prepare for winter and if it doesn't the branches become overwhelmed and break.  She talks about how you have to say no to some things so that you can say yes to others.  This is a lesson I need to learn ASAP!

"...That's what happens when a snow comes early. The trees weren't designed to face snow before releasing their leaves. They weren't made to carry more than they should. And neither are we.
I know the weight of carrying more than I should. And usually it's because I've refused to release something before taking on something else. If I want to choose a Best Yes, it's crucial I make room for it first.

Otherwise, a Best Yes can quickly become a stressed yes. And a stressed yes is like snow on a tree that refuses to release its leaves. It causes cracks and breaks at our core.

If we refuse to release before we add, we will get overloaded."

- See more at: http://proverbs31.org/devotions/devo/god-im-worn-out/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+p31encouragement+%28P31+Encouragement+for+Today%29#sthash.kNFxsU6T.dpuf

8.  Speaking of stressed, I also read this article about how the age women are happiest at is 25 and the age they are most stressed at is 34.  I just had my 34th birthday. Great.

9. Following God is sometimes like going to the gym for me.  I dread it.  I whine about what He asks me to do (currently fundraising for Kenya is at the top of my list).  But I am always blown away by what He does when I follow Him and feel so good afterwards saying "That was totally worth it."  But getting there is definitely a struggle and most of the time not very pretty.  By the way if you'd like to donate, please! help me!  because I SUCK at fundraising.  You can donate at www.stayclassy.com/ncsuz

10. I'm going to bed.  It's almost midnight.  This night owl stuff has to stop.  If you have any tips for getting to bed early and falling asleep (that's my main issue) please let me know!

Hope you all are having a fabulous week and since it's pretty much Wednesday now, Happy Hump Day!

this still cracks me up every time...



No comments: