Monday, December 20, 2010

It's a Christmas Miracle!!

I have WONDERFUL NEWS! Bailey is home!!  Praise the Lord!!

Friday I was really starting to get down about it and losing hope after my third visit to the animal shelter turned up nothing and not one sighting of him in 2 weeks.

But Saturday I got a call from a woman in the neighborhood behind mine saying she thought my cat might be under her deck. She saw him on the deck eating the food she had left out for him earlier and he was grey with a white patch, but he got spooked and ran under her deck. She wasn't sure how we were going to get him out, but I told her I would be there in 5 minutes.

I took his treats, some tuna, and his cat carrier.  The house wasn't too far from mine- just one street over behind my house and at the end of a cul-de-sac.  I had put up flyers on their mailboxes so that is how she knew to call.  I walked around back and she told me the approximate location under the deck.  The opening to get under there was no more that 6-8" tall and it was so dark under there. All I could see was his eyes! I didn't even know if this was my cat but it was the first real lead so I was going to get that cat out no matter what! I tried treats. I tried tuna. I tried talking to him and he would not budge or make a sound. He could escape from either side and it was hard to watch both sides. You literally had to lie flat on the ground to see what was going on down there.

After about an hour I went and got the cat trap. We set that up on the side he was most likely to go for with some tuna. I tried to block the other side with his cat carrier, my jacket, and a flower box. I asked the neighbor if it was ok if I just sat out there for a while. (She had 2 dogs that were going nuts when she wasn't inside with them and a cat that was very interested in the tuna). I sat on the deck very quietly trying to figure out what I could do. All of a sudden the cat pops his face up and stares at me for a minute (it looked like bailey!) But then he ran right back under the deck. Nothing I tried worked and I was freaking out. I called animal control and they were going to send someone to help. I was kind of losing it by this point though so I called a friend to see if she could come and if nothing else be there for moral support.

I laid on the opposite end as the trap to watch and make sure he didn't bolt before someone else got there. It had been 3 cold dirty hours by this point. I just watched him and all of a sudden he started slowly walking towards me. I backed up far enough that he could get out from under the deck and slowly reached my hand out for him to smell and he reached his head up towards it to be petted. As soon as I got a pet or 2 in I picked him up and put him in the cat carrier. OMG! It was unbelievable but I still wasn't sure it was him!

I thanked the lady and told her if animal control showed up to say sorry we didn't need them anymore and I drove Bailey and I back to my house. Right as I pulled up my friends pulled in and we weren't sure it was Bailey and Scott said Cam (my dog) would know! When I brought him in the house Cam was sniffing his cat carrier and got really excited. I took the cat carrier up to my spare room and opened it and out stepped Bailey! It really was him! He was meowing and super loving. His fur was a little thicker and he was skinny but not emaciated, I gave him food and water but he was more interested in me. He just wanted to cuddle and purr.

I cannot believe it! I am still in shock! He is skinny and his fur was a little thicker at first, but he otherwise seems fine and hasn't stopped purring since he got home.  We are going to the vet this morning to make sure he's ok and talk about getting micro-chipped.


I am so happy!  God did hear all our prayers!  He is my little Christmas miracle!!  Thank you!!

17 comments:

Joy said...

YYYYAAAAAAYYYY!!! I'm so happy for you! Praise God!

Zoziku said...

I'm *so* happy for you! I have 2 felines and would be completely sick to my stomach if something like that happened- you've been in my thoughts these 2 weeks- microchip Bailey ASAP! :)

Carly said...

Yay!! I'm beyond thrilled for you! I have two indoor kitties and would be a complete wreck to have them missing! So happy Bailey was found! Christmas miracle, indeed!

Dea said...

Hello Suz!

I bloghopped my way onto your blog last week, and I was really hoping you'd find your cat. I'm so happy for you! We found a newborn kitten in the trash five months ago and she's now the love of my life, I can't imagine what you went through. I'm so thankful that you're reunited with your cat.

Anyway, good luck with your 30 Before 30 list! I have a 31 Before 31 list myself.

AuntBT said...

Yay! Yay! Yay! Yay! Yay! Yay! Yay! Yay! Yay! Yay! Yay! Yay! Yay! Yay!

Jane said...

This is fantastic news Suz! :-) I am so happy to hear that Bailey is finally back at home, safe and sound. What a wonderful neighbor to leave food on her deck for Bailey when she saw him, and to have paid enough attention to the flyer (not to mention the fact that she still had it handy) to call you! God sure knew what He was doing when He guided Bailey to that woman's backyard. :-)

This post just made my day!

Anonymous said...

I am delighted that this story ended well! God is indeed merciful.

GinH said...

totally crying over here - SO glad Bailey is HOME!!! To say you're relieved probably doesn't come close to how good it feels to have him home. MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!

Robin said...

that is awesome! good to have all the family back I bet!

Amber @ A Little Pink in the Cornfields said...

Oh my gosh!!! I am so happy for you!

Shoshanah said...

I'm so happy for you! I'm sure Bailey must be just as happy as you are to be back home! It's so exciting that you were able to find him!

debs2107 said...

Yeah!! I am so happy for you that you found him, it will be a wonderful xmas after all :) **doing the happy dance**

The Book Addict said...

YAY!! I'm so happy for you! When I was reading this on my phone this morning, I was so happy I blurted something out...and my boss was like, "What?" He didn't really care, just rolled his eyes at my glee and random outburst. :)

Stephanie said...

Wow! I'm glad to hear that all of that persistance paid off! What a great way to start the week before christmas. Congratulations. =]

led lights said...

nice posting keep blogging,

Anonymous said...

Great news! :o)

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy for you! Yay!