Friday, June 11, 2010

Do Good = Feel Better?

Not to toot my own horn, but this week I am doing some really nice things for others.

It all started with checking in on my neighbors cats.  I thought these neighbors hated me.  I haven't really talked to them all that much and I highly suspected them of complaining to our HOA about me forgetting to pick up Cam's poop on occasion.  (I do pick up his poop, just not always right after he goes...it is hard to find that crap in the dark!)  Anyway, last Friday they stopped by and asked if I would mind watching their cats over the weekend.  The woman who lives there had a very sick mother in Virginia that they needed to go see.  I said sure, no problem.  They gave me a key and showed me where everything was and what to do and I actually really enjoyed visiting them.  They are very sweet cats.  Then yesterday the man came back over and said her mother had taken a turn for the worse and he was driving back up there to be with them and would I mind checking in on the cats.  Of course!  So I am watching their cats until they get back.  (I just found out her mother passed away last night, so say a little prayer for their family.)

Then I had a friend from high school on Facebook ask if anyone lived near the airport.  I commented that I was really close to the airport.  She sent me a message asking if they could park their car at my house and take a cab to the airport so it wouldn't cost so much.  I replied and said they didn't need to call a cab.  I would drive them.  Yes, it was at 5 am this morning, but I had to be up for the gym by 6 am anyway, so what was one hour and that's what friends are for right?

Tomorrow I am going with the rest of the people on my floor to de-construct a house for Habitat for Humanity.   I'm excited about this because I have always wanted to do something with Habitat and I heard that you can get out a lot of frustration de-constructing a house!  Plus it will give me a chance to interact with my co-workers outside of work!

So yeah, helping other people gives me a little boost.  I have been really down since the end of witty guy.  I miss him.  And I'm not even sure if I just miss talking to him and having him around in a friend sense or a romantic way.  I told him I couldn't talk to him anymore, but we have exchanged some emails and I even broke down and called him tonight (he didn't answer).  But yeah, he was my best friend and I miss him, so it has been hard.

But staying busy and being able to help other people is a good way to keep my mind off of it.

In college I made a list of 10 things I thought I needed in life to be happy and one of them was to do something for charity each month.  I think I am making good progress on that one.

Here is the rest of the list in case you were curious:
1. a dog
2. a house on a lake
3. children
4. a man with the following qualities: ambition, honesty, good looks, good sense of humor, someone who likes to play and be silly, a take charge kind of guy, a deep thinker, loves dogs, loves the mountains, sweet, and considerate
5. trips to- Hawaii, Australia, Italy, New York, Boston, and Tahiti
6. At least 4 close, loyal, lasting friends
7. Do at least 1 thing for charity each month
8. a nice homey home
9. a good looking healthy body
10. a job i like and i am passionate about

I wrote that list about 10 years ago and I still think they are very accurate.

What would be on your happy list?

P.S. Do you want to do something good?  Go give THIS VIDEO a five paw rating!  This town was just destroyed by flooding and are in desperate need of a new dog park.  If you want to learn more about what happened to this community CLICK HERE.

2 comments:

Tales of Our Journey said...

What a great post! I would have to agree that helping others does make you feel a lot better on the inside! Keep it up.

I think doing at least 1 thing for charity each month would be on my happy list as well. Along with treating myself to a pedi at least once a month and going out with a friend once a week!

Rich Life Revival said...

"It's hard to find that crap in the dark" Hahahhaa.

I really like the post - I think it's best to help out others and stay busy when you're trying to get over a guy. You have to replace all thoughts with something else - and it's good that they are GREAT things for others and yourself.

I hope you have a fabulous weekend!