Wednesday, August 25, 2010

List update

For those of you who just stumbled upon this little ol' blog of mine, the title may be deceiving.  See I made a list of 30 things I wanted to accomplish before I turned 30.  Well, I only gave myself 2 years to accomplish some pretty lofty goals, and only ended up crossing 20 of them off my list by my 30th birthday earlier this month (I can not believe I am not a twenty something anymore...thirty just sounds so...adult-like.)  So now I am giving myself until the end of my year of being 30 to finish the rest.

Right now I am focusing on:

#18- Upgrade one room in my house: One thing I've learned is I am a very timid do-it-yourself-er. I am so afraid I am going to screw something up. Most of the time I just want someone else there with me just to well...be there I guess, just in case something goes wrong. I have bought curtains but haven't hung them. I have bought cabinet pulls but haven't put them up. I have taken down my towel bar and hooks in the bathroom, but haven't painted. I have bought new bathroom stuff but haven't put it up because I want to paint first. I just haven't had time and I really do want someone there with me, but I think I am going to have to get over that because it looks like singleness may be a lifelong thing for me.

#25- Invest in the stock market: I don't have a 401K anymore. Not since the layoff back on April 30, 2009. And now I am a contractor, so no 401K for me. (People, do not take your 401K programs for granted...it is so much easier than taking care of it on your own. And if you have a company match, by golly do not let that go to waste!) Anyway, I had to roll over all my 401K into an IRA and then I converted that IRA to a Roth IRA. I used Charles Schwab and they offer a free consultation so I talked to the guy and went with the fund he recommended. Which in less than a month has already lost over $200..geez! I asked him about investing in the stock market not through a retirement fund and he said I should max out my Roth IRA contributions ($5000 a year!) and have 6 months living expenses saved up in cash before I even try to invest the stock market. AND you have to have a good chunk of money to start with. So I don't know what I am going to do about this one.  I am working on setting up automatic contributions to the Roth IRA form my checking and I may just count that as "investing in the stock market".  I can't believe I let it go over a year without contributing anything to my retirement savings!


#1- Get in the best shape of my life: I hate the way I look right now. So much so that I freaked out about being tagged in some pictures on Facebook that made me look gross. I have been working out almost every Tuesday and Thursday morning for the last few months, but not much has changed. I need to do something everyday. Exercise is what works for me (I've done this before, I know). I started back tracking my calories with the Lose it app. I just need to keep it up and not let things throw me off track. I really hate this one. It makes me feel like a big fat loser when I think about it which is why I try not to, but that is never going to get me anywhere.

The rest of the List I just can't muster up the motivation for right now. They are mostly things that would be fun with someone else, and I am tired of trying to find someone to be my partner in crime. I don't like even asking people to do anything because I feel like I am burdening them. And some things (actually a lot of things) in life are just better when they are shared with someone else.

4 comments:

The Depressed Yogi said...

Ugh I'm having weight issues, too. I don't want it to take over my life again (and it won't), but I hate that I think about it so much these days! Being in this city doesn't help. I need to eat better AND run!

Christen said...

I think it's great you're continuing on with your list; I've got "work out more" on my list too...

Jamie said...

I know we don't know each other, but I am in a similar boat to you - I'll be 30 in April.

I have a suggestion for the weight one - Go to Walmart and buy Jillian Michael's 30 day shred video. Its 25 minutes long, do it EVERYDAY for 30 days and you will see a difference. Arm flab - gone. Stomach - muscles!!! It's worth the $9.

Anonymous said...

Good luck and have fun with it :D I have a 27 Before 27 list, but I'm also starting to think that I may have bitten off more than I can chew..I have a few fitness-y items on there, but the gist is basically the same as yours: I just want to feel like I'm reaching my full potential with everything, including being in shape. I'm loving your blog, just subscribed!