Thursday, July 2, 2009

Watch Out...that's a Tiger!

Earlier this week Carolyn at My Thirty Before 30 Journey posted a link to this:

Our Need for Others to Show Us the Way of Escape: Because Mufasas Become Maneaters

If you have an hour to spare you should really listen to it, but if not here is my little synopsis of what I got from the message:

Everyone struggles with temptation. But sometimes we rationalize and marginalize little things we know we probably shouldn't be doing because well they aren't hurting us and it's ok to have a little fun every once in a while. But the pastor giving this sermon warns us to watch out because those cute little things can be dangerous and ultimately destroy you. He makes the comparison of wild animals. Sure a baby tiger is super cute and seems harmless, but it is a wild animal. You might think yeah I want to take home that cute little baby tiger but in a few short months you will have a huge wild animal on your hands. He makes the comparison that it is the same way with sin. That innocent friendship you have with your secretary can turn in to so much more if you don't watch out. That one cigarette you smoke can easily turn in to a pack a day habit. That one little lie you told can turn into a whole series of lies that you just can't get out of. That one little cookie can turn into the whole box if you don't watch out.

I fall prey to this all the time. I'll splurge on a diet and say I'll start over on Monday, but then I splurge again and before you know it I am eating more bad things than good things. I'll sit on the couch and say I'll just watch an hour or so of TV and before I know it the whole day has gone by and I'm still in my PJs. And those are just tiny examples. There are so many other areas of my life where I just let one little thing slide and then before I know it things are starting to unravel and I wonder how I got to this point.

I need to be stronger in my stances. If I decide I am going to do something or not do something I need to stand by that and not give in to little temptations that cause the whole thing to unravel.

"But you, O man of God, flee these things and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, gentleness.” – 1 Timothy 6:11

Temptation is all around us. Don't try to face it head on. Flee from it. Protect yourself from falling off course.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Truer words were never spoken Suz!

Unmuted said...

This is a really great post and something that REALLY hit home with me personally. I have followed your blog for several months now and would love to repost this on our blog (www.beunmuted.com) if you wouldn't mind. We will of course link back and give you credit!